Under the direction of the Operations/ Construction Manager, the basic function of the Irrigation Foreman is to provide effective leadership and direction on specific AWS work sites, while insuring proper installations of irrigation systems. It is the responsibility of the Foreman to lead and direct personnel, ensuring that all customer deadlines are met and manpower is utilized to a maximum efficiency.
The Foreman ensures that there is compliance with all company policies, Provincial Legislation and procedures, with particular attention being given to safety issues and MOE issues. The Foreman must possess the highest level of integrity and demonstrate unquestionable and positive moral and ethical traits in all activities. These traits must be able to pass any reasonable level of scrutiny inside or outside of the company.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to complete all areas outlined for this position in a satisfactory manner. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities necessary to meet the minimum job requirements of this position.
Essential Skills: Oral communication, Working with others, Problem solving, Decision making, Critical thinking
Experience: Experience an asset but not necessary
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Work under pressure, Repetitive tasks, physically demanding, Attention to detail, Combination of sitting, standing, walking, Standing for extended periods, Bending, crouching, and kneeling
Education: High School Diploma or equivalent experience
LICENSING/REGISTRATION/CERTIFICATION: Required; Valid Drive G Drivers License, Current health and services training including: WHMIS
Supervisor Training, CIT Certificate, CIC Certificate
EXPERIENCE: 3 or more years experience working on an Irrigation construction crew. Exposure to supervision experience required.
Preferred: Five or more years experience as a Foreman with an Irrigation company.
Own Tools/Equipment: CSA approved Steel-toed safety boots
Work Site Environment: Outdoors, Wet/damp, Hot, Cool
Salary: To be negotiated
Here are a few but not limiting to, skills, knowledge and duties referring to this position:
- Must be capable of formulating an action plan to logically, efficiently and effectively complete daily work schedules within specified deadlines.
- Must have excellent people skills, to be able to interface and coach to attain the maximum capabilities of all site personnel.
- Must have excellent communication skills to allow for an effective information exchange upward and downward within the 4. organization. Accept responsibility for ensuring that communication is complete.
- Must be computer literate and have a command of Microsoft Office and its tools.
- Must be able to read and understand blue prints.
- Must be able to interpret blue prints to determine the most cost effective methods of completing a project.
- Working knowledge of plant materials, hydraulics and electrical
- Able to operate a wide range of equipment
Here are a few but not limiting to, duties and responsibilities:
- Communicate regularly with the Operations/ Construction Manager to provide site status informing them of any existing or anticipated challenges related to current conditions.
- Ensure that due consideration be given to the location of utilities as per the utility locate sheets.
- Preparing and inspecting equipment necessary for the next days work when possible.
- Notifies Operations/ Construction Manager BEFORE proceeding installation if job site is not properly marked for utilities.
- Ensure that all customer concerns are dealt with in a professional manner without affecting daily work progress.
- Prepare *AS-BUILTS* (go to end) upon completion of each project and turn it into the Operations/ Construction Manager for verification.
- Follow all AWS safety guidelines and procedures.
- Coordinating the days work, supervising and motivating staff productivity.
- Quality control of all staff work and correcting deficiencies in staff work.
- Overseeing “day to day” staff training and orientation.
- Accurately reading and completing work orders and instructions.
- Monitoring and reporting weekly to the Operations/ Construction Manager on performance review of crews
- Assisting the Operations/ Construction Manager with gathering fleet information, scheduling and carrying out vehicle and equipment repairs.
- Carrying out any Health and Safety duties as assigned by the Operations Manager.
To find out more about this position and availability, or want to send a resume, please contact us at
AWS Construction Team